Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My First Love

I miss you. Everything about you. I've been thinking about you a lot lately and the way you made me feel. I close my eyes and it all comes back to me. The sensations and overwhelming amounts of joy that come with you. Those late nights and weekend trips...what I'd give to have you back...

But sooner or later we must grow up. We must move on with our lives, make decisions, and give things up. You were important to me; helped me get to where I am today. I miss you. Thank you for the memories,
the smell of dirt, sweat and bubblegum; the sting of strawberries and open flesh, the throbbing of a second knee cap, the feeling after snagging that line drive or making that awesome slide at homeplate to tie up the game, having team members that become more like family; a game you learn to love for a lifetime.

"It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in spring, when everything begins again, and it blossoms in the summer filling the afternoon and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rain comes, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone." ~ A. Bartlett Gametti

One day you become to old; one day you make the decision to give it up; one day you realize you need to move on. It's a sad day; one that you will always remember. But you'll always remember the times you had, the memories you shared...with that old ball and glove, with those old teammates, with that dusty old field. It's a girls first love...and everyone knows, you never forget your first love.

1 comment: